Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cape San Blas

My lovely friends, Clayton and Renee, invited us to their beach house in Cape San Blas, Fl for the 4th of July this year. They were married there last year and wanted to do a reunion of sorts with some of the guests that were at the wedding. They rallied the troops, which were all former UK swimmers and divers (and spouses) and planned a weekend of festivities for us.

My best friend from growing up lives in Valdosta, GA, so I decided to fly down a couple days early to hang out with her and her baby, which I try to do anytime I'm near that area. When I flew in Wednesday morning, Lindsey and Hadley picked me up and we headed down to the beach a couple days early for a mini girls trip! Hadley is 19 months old and had never been to the beach, so we had a lot of fun picking up shells, playing in the water and building sand castles (well, Lindsey and I built them and Hadley smashed them up).

This little lady could be in beautiful!

On Thursday afternoon, Doug flew in and crashed the girl party, but we were happy to see him. Thursday night we did a big dinner with Clayton and Renee and Carrie and Whit, who had just gotten into town. We kicked the weekend off in style with some fancy tex-mex, mariachi band included!

Friday morning we headed over to the Moss Haus for some pool and beach time before Lindsey and Hadley had to leave.

Clayton and Renee are both triathletes (Clayton a multiple time IM finisher), so when they built the house, they put in a lap pool in their backyard so that they could train whenever they wanted to (yeah, it's sweet)!

Later in the day I started to notice that I was getting really burned, I mean like really burned. My hands, toes, shoulders, chest were nearly purple. I had been diligent about putting on sunblock and had only been in the sun for a couple of hours. I know I'm a ginger, but I don't usually burn like that. Then it hit me...I was on 3 different medications for a cut on my foot that got infected (I sliced my foot open while paddleboarding a few weeks ago in Jersey and after a couple weeks of walking on it in the NYC streets, it got really infected). Apparently one of the medications makes a person taking it much more sensitive to the light. Add that to pale skin and I was doomed. Later that night, I ended up going to the ER because I was blistering and was in a lot of pain. The doc basically said, stop taking the meds and stay out of the sun for 2-3 days. CRAP...this is supposed to be a beach vacation! (yes, even my lips blistered)

So, the next day, I hung out in the Moss Haus (which isn't a bad place to be if you have to be inside) and read my book. Later on, some thunderstorms rolled in, so I took the opportunity to go for a swim in the lap pool. Take that can't keep me inside.

The next couple of days were filled with sleeping in, hanging on the Moss deck, sitting under the shade of a beach umbrella and lighting fires on the beach after the sun went down. After a couple of days, I was able to hit the beach and play with everyone else. We went paddleboarding, fishing, swimming and kayaking. When I was out in the water I wore a long sleeve white shirt, just like the ones you always see the chubby white kids wearing at the was pretty sexy. Good thing I bought that cute new bikini before the trip;)

Walk way from the Moss Haus right to the beach...ahhhh.

Cray-cray and her husband Whit

Cody was really proud of the dead fish he caught:)

4th of July fire - started with lighter fluid and a visor

C-Moss at sunset

Our amazing hosts, Clayton and Renee (and Tabitha...1 of 3 furry kids)

Of course I love vacationing with just my hubby, but vacationing with your friends and your hubby is awesome! Thanks again Moss's for such a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment