Monday, November 14, 2011

2011 Iron Mike Virtual Tofurky Trot

Last year I started what I hoped would become an annual virtual run on Thanksgiving day. The premise was that most of my friends are spread out around the country, so it's impossible to get together and go for a run. I figured that if we all ran virtually, it might be close to the same thing. It also helps get me out the door, knowing that I pledged to be out there and knowing that my friends did too. Those of you participated last year know that your "prize" for doing so was a Starbucks gift card. This year I want to do something different/much better!

3 1/2 years ago my college diving coach passed away from a battle with lung cancer. He was the epitome of health and was an inspiration to everyone who had the chance to know him. He could be tough, but I always knew that he wanted us to be the best we could be and so he pushed us hard. But he cared a lot, so I worked harder for him (well, most of the time...I was a brat sometimes, particularly at 6am practice). I still think about Mike on every run, every hike, every bike ride, every activity I do because I know that he would have been pushing me harder. His voice in my head keeps me going...I can hear him saying "Raise the bar and change the attitude Kelli!"



So, in an effort to keep Mike's memory at the top of mind, I want to dedicate this virtual run to him. In doing so, I will donate $5 to the Iron Mike Memorial Fund for those of you who email me and tell me you
are running virtually with me on Thanksgiving (I will donate for the first 20 people, but would love to have as many running as possible!) If you feel moved to donate to the memorial fund on your own, here is some information so you can do so:

Wildcat Aquatics – Iron Mike Memorial Fund
Lancaster Aquatic Center
416 Complex Dr.
Lexington, KY 40506-0219


My email is kellijamison at gmail dot com or feel free to message me on Facebook to secure your spot. I can't wait to virtually run with all of you!

Happy Thanksgiving friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment