Friday, September 7, 2012

Baby names

We've majorly procrastinated on coming up with our final list of baby names. I've had a running list for years of our favorite boy, girl and dog names, but it was about 30 deep for each category, so last weekend we finally narrowed it down to our top 3-5 for boys and girls (there are no new dogs in our future). I must say that we had a much easier time with our girl names, we both tended to like them a lot better than any of the boy names we had. We are going to wait and share the final decision until the baby comes because we really feel like we have to see the little thing before giving it a name for life, but here's one thing I can share.

As we were talking about our boy names I thought that maybe we should think of some of our favorite ski runs, hikes, bike trails, etc that we had done and loved as possible middle name options. We went through a bunch of our favorite resorts, to no avail, and ended up studying the trail map of Silverton Mtn. The trail names at Silverton are ridiculous and totally thrown out by a bunch of ski bums with a crude sense of humor. Rope Dee Dope, Fat Guy, Vodka Shots, Hell's Gate, Witch's Tit, Concussion Woods, etc. Obviously, not great names for a child. I was reading all of these off, laughing hysterically the whole time and when I threw out Gnar Couloir Doug stopped me in my tracks and declared that Gnar would be the perfect middle name for a boy. "What a strong name! He's never going to get beat up with that kind of name. And if he's a red head, he needs a strong name." Well, he went on like this all weekend and he was totally serious. After you say it a bunch of times, I guess it sounds like any other name, but it's still hard for me to agree to naming our kid something short for "gnarly." Either way, I played into Doug's excitement and made a couple of onesies for our little bruiser because even if the name doesn't make it onto the birth certificate, it will surely be a nickname.

I suck at crafting and realized that the "E" was upside down and backwards after I ironed it on.

Crafting take 2.
So, either start crossing your fingers and toes that we have a girl and we can avoid this naming issue all together, or don't be surprised when you see the birth announcement and Gnar is part of his name.

2 comments:

  1. I vote for either Nate Gnar or Gnar Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hysterical!! I like the onesie even more with the backwards "E" !!

    ReplyDelete